Computer asploded? Website Borked? Post here and maybe someone can help :)

Windows Vista question

Postby Trelow » Tue Feb 20, 2007 02:29

So is there any reason to upgrade to Vista Home Premium over Basic? From what I can tell it just means Windows will gobble even more of my processor.
Trelow
LMG Member

Postby Voratus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 05:50

I would advice to not upgrade to Vista at all. At least not for a year or so, after they get the bugs (mostly) worked out of it.
Voratus
Devouring souls for fun and profit
Voratus
LMG Member

Postby OldScotch » Tue Feb 20, 2007 19:13

There's performance hit with virtually every form of application in Vista as opposed to XP.

DirectSound, gone. OpenGL, gone.

Vista=bad atm.
These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.

OldScotch
Administrator

Postby FiSHiE » Wed Feb 21, 2007 01:03

[blahblah]

I'd wait and see whether blizzard will put out an update of their client to directx 10 or not. directx9 is still in vista, but i think its basically an extra layer on top of 10 to be backwards compat... usually that means performance loss. video card drivers are also an issue at the moment. and every game site/hardware review site has said gaming performance take a big hit after a vista "downgrade".

I support a lot of companies pcs and servers and I tell them all to wait till the end of the year before even considering looking at vista. its all flash and no extra substance for business use, and will requires hardware upgrades if your machine is older than 10-12 months (memory and vid card for teh flash shiznit).

for max perf i'd look at getting XP Lite or something similar. there's a few iso's floating around if u know where to find them, with a xp footprint of around 150Mb and memory usage of under 40Mb. but you get not much in the way of "userfriendliness" :P basic plug'n'play and network connectivity and that's it :) gr8 for a dedicated gaming machine.

[/blahblah]
FiSHiE
LMG Member

Forum Statistics