Computer asploded? Website Borked? Post here and maybe someone can help :)

Computer wont power up.

Postby Shadowpound » Sun Sep 23, 2007 18:25

I need your guys help.

Right before I moved my computer worked like a champ, no problems at all.

When I moved here to VA, I unplugged my computer loaded in my car and drove here. When I arrived here it was taken out of my car and into a house where it sat until last friday. When I plugged it in I got nothing, I did the idiot check, I checked the pulg on the wall, I check my power cord, I switched power cords, I switched wall sockets etc...

Ok so now what do I do? What do you think the problems may be? There is a little light on the mobo that lit up, but now it does not.

any help or advice will be welcome.

Thanks
Phil
Shadowpound Level 83 Tauren Warrior (Herb/Alch)
Madmage Level 85 Undead Arcane Mage (Skinning/Miner)
Shadowsjudge Level 82 Tauren Pally (Ret/Holy)
(Miner/blacksmith)
Shadowzulin (formerly Trollhunter, Sorry Nate) :) level 72
(Skin, Miner)
Shadowearth Level 80 Orc Shammy (Elemental/Healing)
Shadowpound
LMG Member

Postby OldScotch » Sun Sep 23, 2007 21:49

You didn't mention it - so if you didn't check the switch on the power supply with the - and O on it. Should be on the -.

Check your power bar too. In addition to the on/off switch, some power bars have a switch for 10 or 15 amps. You want it on 15 amps. There's also a reset switch that's worth trying.

More likely though, probably one of the cables came loose in the move. The one that supplies power to your motherboard has 20 or 24 connectors and usually clips in towards the top of the board. The CPU usually has a power connection of its own, and if I remember correctly, some boards have a failsafe in that they won't turn on if the fan isn't powered.

If that's not it, is there anything at all that comes on when you power it up? Any beeps? Any fans spin up? Any noise or lights at all?

Could be a toasted power supply. Sometimes they act like lightbulbs in that they're fine for all kinds of use, then you turn them off for an extended period of time and they just stop working. Could also be bad incoming electricity, and if anything is going to be sensitive to it, a computer will be. Might have popped something as soon as you turned it on the first time.
These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.

OldScotch
Administrator

Postby Shadowpound » Mon Sep 24, 2007 02:17

Thanks Nate for replying.

Well I was getting disgusted, I called a local shop and asked them about how much it would cost to look at it. 50 freakin dollars, just to look at it. If it is the power supply then it would cost another 45-65 dollars to replace.

Anywhoo, I went to my room, and decided to try one more time, I plugged it in, checked all of the connections again and walked away after pushing the button 20 times.

About 2 hours later, I was moving some clothes next to it and decided to try again, and what do you know It worked!!!

SO now My computer is up and running again. YAY :)

so maybe Karma isnt such a *itch after all. :)

Thanks again
Phil
Shadowpound Level 83 Tauren Warrior (Herb/Alch)
Madmage Level 85 Undead Arcane Mage (Skinning/Miner)
Shadowsjudge Level 82 Tauren Pally (Ret/Holy)
(Miner/blacksmith)
Shadowzulin (formerly Trollhunter, Sorry Nate) :) level 72
(Skin, Miner)
Shadowearth Level 80 Orc Shammy (Elemental/Healing)
Shadowpound
LMG Member

Postby Singring » Wed Oct 03, 2007 22:30

O.o

... when you tried it that last time, it wasn't also right after all the lights in your house finally came on, was it? :P

Sorry, reminded me of that old tech assistant joke where the guy who needed help turning on his PC couldn't read his instruction manual because it was too dark from the power outage.
Singring
LMG Member

Forum Statistics