Computer asploded? Website Borked? Post here and maybe someone can help :)

wireless pains

Postby Zuljita » Wed Aug 27, 2008 01:50

weirdest wireless question ever: i live in an old apartment building (built in the 20s or so, remodeled 2 or 3 times since then) atm and we have a router (wrt54gl with dd-wrt as the os on it) in the front of the building, in the back of the building we have an office, inside the office are 2 desktop machines with internal pci wireless cards on them. one dlink one linksys. both get low to no signal depending on the time of day and alignment of the planets, if we bring an ibm thinkpad laptop into the office, both machines drop to no signal (untill we turn wireless off on the laptop) this happened with both the old and the new model, the router has a high gain wireless antenna on it (HAI15SC) which is directional and pointed at my office, the first step of the troubleshooting process is what led me to the opensource os for the machine, i cranked the TX power on the router up and got a more reliable (but far from reliable enough) connection. further, with just the 2 desktops in the room either one gets signal enough to play wow or stream a video okay, untill you try to do it on both machines at once, then they both just shut down.
That guy you might remember... What was his name? Kyle?
Zuljita
LMG Member

Postby OldScotch » Wed Aug 27, 2008 21:22

How far away are they from each other? And how much is in between them to interfere?

If you take the laptop to the room with the router, is the signal as strong as you'd expect?
These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.

OldScotch
Administrator

Postby Zuljita » Thu Aug 28, 2008 01:10

signal is perfect on the laptop regardless of its location in the apartment, in the office (where the desktops are), in the living room (where the router is) heck, the neighbors downstairs have the same laptop, they get great signal. no more than 50 feet as the crow flies, with a bathroom and a kitchen between them, 4 ish walls. I am about to just try to find someone to crimp some ends on 200 ft of cat 5 and call it a day, but it sure would be cheaper to fix what i have.
Zuljita
LMG Member

Postby OldScotch » Thu Aug 28, 2008 13:28

That .. makes no sense.
These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.

OldScotch
Administrator

Postby Zuljita » Fri Aug 29, 2008 00:51

i know, which is why it kills me so.
Zuljita
LMG Member

Postby Stankeye » Fri Aug 29, 2008 18:38

I'll send you 200ft of Cat5. Give me an address.
Alan - Retired Garouson
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-- D. Adams
Stankeye
Recruiter

Forum Statistics